Saturday, January 15, 2011

Jesus Tissue is evidently a big thing in my neighborhood.

In the last week I've been handed two more packets of Jesus Tissue while mounting the stairs to the metro station.  These new ones are from a different church.  I guess the Sunday morning loyalties of Koreans are easily be swayed by small, practical gifts.  And there seems to be a cottage industry of tissue manufacturers printing customized tissue packets.

Probably the weirdest thing about this church is its name:  Seoul Light & Salt Church.  I thought I had a fairly good grasp on Christian imagery but I can't figure out what salt has to do with it.  I also noticed that what must be the Korean transliteration of "Jesus," 예수, happens to be the Church Latin pronunciation.  Not so for what I take to be "Christ," which requires four syllables:  그리스도.

The toddler points to the sky and says "Look, Jesus!" while her female relations chuckle at her puerile foolishness.

No comments:

Post a Comment